Instant Pot pressure cooker cilantro lime rice is a versatile side dish. This flavor combo is the perfect base for anything from Asian to Mexican cuisine. Seafood, tofu, and chicken dishes pair especially well. Making your rice in an Instant Pot, or similar electric pressure cooker, is easier than the stove top method and ensures consistency. This recipe was developed using the 6 Quart Instant Pot Ultra. See below for tips on cooking the perfect rice.
Instant Pot Rice Cooking Tips
- Add a pinch of salt and/or a pat of butter to give steamed rice extra flavor.
- Rinse rice thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer before cooking to wash off excess starch.
- Purchase a non-stick insert for your Instant Pot since rice tends to stick to the stainless steel insert it comes with from the factory.
- Every rice cooker and pressure cooker is a little different, as well as your personal preferences. Start with a 1 to 1 rice to water ratio, then add or subtract a tablespoon of water to find the sweet spot of rice doneness you desire.
- Chicken, or other, broth can be used in place of water to create added flavors.
- To use brown rice, increase cooking time to 15 to 20 minutes.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot 6 quart or similar electric pressure cooker.
- 1 cup long grain white or jasmine rice
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 TB fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Rinse rice thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer and drain well, then add to Instant Pot.
- Add water or broth to pot and stir to combine. Cover and lock lid into place. Set valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” and “High Pressure” settings. Turn off Keep Warm option. Adjust cook time to 4 minutes.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Open the quick release valve to release remaining pressure or simply leave in pot until ready to serve.
- Remove lid and stir in lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. If desired, allow flavors to combine for several minutes before serving. Enjoy!
To use brown rice, change cooking time to 15 minutes.