Instant Pot garlic mashed red potatoes are a versatile side dish, which pairs well with anything from meatloaf to grilled fish. The Instant Pot cooking method infuses the flavor from the garlic cloves into the potatoes during cooking. Also, using an electric pressure cooker means no more babysitting a large pot of boiling water while preparing the rest of your meal. The recipe is easily adjustable to your particular taste and how creamy or chunky you like your mashed potatoes.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Tips
- Red, Yukon Gold, or any small to medium size waxy potatoes will work for this method. Large Russet potatoes have much more starch and, while they can be used, will produce a different texture.
- Potatoes do no need to be peeled, but can be if you prefer.
- Using a non-stick Instant Pot insert makes for easier cleanup.
- Mash or blend the cooked potatoes as much or as little as needed for the desired texture
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup half & half or heavy cream
- 3 TB unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- Combine potatoes, garlic and broth in Instant Pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Add lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set to “Manual High Pressure” for 8 minutes cooking time.
- When cooking time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then open valve manually release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and add cream and butter. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or immersion blender until almost smooth, but still slightly chunky. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Enjoy!