Looking for an easy, yet impressive, appetizer for your next event? Our Mediterranean layer dip is full of flavor and uses plenty of fresh ingredients. Serve with veggies, crackers, or pita bread for dipping. The Mediterranean layer dip can also be used as an easy sandwich filling. Just add a scoop to pita or naan bread and top with your favorite grilled meat and/or veggies to create a delicious wrap without all the fuss.
Tips: Prepare the Tzatziki sauce the night before to give the flavors a chance to combine. The cucumber tomato mixture will also benefit from extra time chilling in the fridge. Use our homemade roasted garlic hummus recipe to take the flavor of the dip up another notch.
Mediterranean Layer Dip
- 1 large Seedless cucumber Long, English type works best
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice divided into 2T and 1T
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano or Italian herb mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh dill Substitute 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 1/2 cups hummus
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cucumber tomato mix: Dice one half of the cucumber and add to a large bowl, along with the tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic powder, and half of the oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Tzatziki sauce: shred remaining cucumber with a box grater and place in another large bowl. Add Greek yogurt, minced garlic, dill, and the remaining oregano and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Spread the hummus into a uniform layer on small serving platter (or in an 8” x 8” casserole dish), then top with the Tzatziki sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to drain excess liquid from the seasoned tomato, red onion, and cucumber mixture before spreading on top of the Tzatziki sauce.
- Add the Kalamata olives, followed by the crumbled Feta and fresh chopped parsley. Serve with vegetable sliced veggies, chips, or pita for dipping. Enjoy!