One of the most flexible items in Middle Eastern cuisine, hummus can be used as a dip with fresh veggies, a base for serving meals, or in wraps and sandwiches. Our easy roasted garlic hummus adds an extra punch of flavor and is made using canned chick peas for convenience. The recipe can be easily doubled to make larger batches.
Easy Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 head garlic
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15oz can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1 large lemon
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Varies Fresh veggies: cucumbers, carrots, etc. bite size
- Varies Warm pita or naan bread
- Varies Mixed Kalamata or Greek olives
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the top off garlic head and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, water, ground cumin and cayenne pepper to a blender or food processor. Once cool, remove roasted garlic cloves from outer skin and add to the container.
- Blend until smooth. Add more water, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings or add salt, as desired.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with high-quality extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve immediately with fresh vegetables and Kalamata olives. Enjoy!