Fish often draws strong opinions when it comes to dinner time. There are so many different tastes, textures, and cooking methods. Our cod with garlic herb butter is a happy middle ground. Tender, mild flaky fish with amped up with a flavorful garlic butter. This recipe is an easy way to please everyone in your family from the adventurous to extremely picky. Pair with roasted veggies, topped with garlic butter, to round out the meal. The recipe can easily be adjusted from dinner for two or a large family.
Prep time: 5 minutes + time to chill herb butter
Cook time: 10 minutes
Cod with Garlic Herb Butter Ingredients
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1½ teaspoons garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 4-oz. Atlantic cod fillets
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Cod with Garlic Herb Butter Directions
- Prepare the garlic-herb butter by combining all butter ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Stir until the garlic, herbs, and salt are evenly distributed throughout the softened butter.
- Transfer the butter mixture to the center of a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper and form into a log. Wrap tightly and place inside the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to become firm.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Pat cod filets dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add filets to hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they become golden brown. Reduce heat to medium and carefully flip each fillet. Top each filet with an equal amount of herb butter and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. While cooking, spoon the herb butter back over the filets as it melts.
- Remove from heat and transfer fillets to individual serving plates. Drizzle with melted herb butter and garnish with some fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with some oven-roasted asparagus or potatoes tossed with remaining herb butter from skillet. Enjoy!