This Instant Pot chicken fajita soup recipe shows off the versatility of the pressure cooker. Not only is it easy to make, but is packed full of flavor. Serve on its own for lunch or as part of a Mexican style dinner. An added bonus of this chicken fajita soup is that it stores well, which also gives the flavors even more time to mingle. Add your favorite toppings, such as avocado slices, fresh onion, or shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium Red onion, diced
- 1 medium Red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Pablano peppr, seeded and chopped
- 1.5 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes Fire roasted variety for extra flavor
- 1 15oz can Black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 TB Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Avocados, sliced
- 3 TB Red onion, diced
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in pressure cooker, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!