Cauliflower is the new multi-tasker in the kitchen. It’s easy to find, cheap, and packed with nutrients. A huge benefit that it has over its cruciferous cousin broccoli is a decidedly bland taste, making it the perfect blank slate for side dishes. It is also an easy ingredient to hide from picky eaters who need to eat more veggies. Our loaded cauliflower au gratin is packed with flavor, nutrients, and easy to modify for your own tastes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Loaded Cauliflower Au Gratin Ingredients
4 cups cauliflower florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces (about a 2 pound head)
6 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
¼ cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried dill
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1½ cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
Loaded Cauliflower Au Gratin Directions
- Place top oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket on top of a pot with boiling water and steam until fork-tender, around 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer cauliflower into a cold water bath to prevent further cooking. Drain well and pat dry.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower to a large bowl and add cream cheese, heavy cream, butter, garlic powder, and dried dill. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Transfer to oven-safe casserole dish and top with shredded cheese blend and crumbled bacon. Place in pre-heated oven and roast until cheese is melted and nicely browned on top, around 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately topped with fresh chives. Enjoy!