This delightful beverage is a delicious way to celebrate the holiday season. Here, the classic flavor combination of cranberry, orange, and cinnamon is complemented by the unexpected addition of cumin. Add a little vodka for a fun adults-only treat, or skip it for a refreshing mocktail everyone can enjoy. Cheers!
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus chill time
Cranberry Spritzer Ingredients
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
¼ cup honey
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons whole cumin seeds (If you cannot find cumin seeds, substitute with star anise)
4 cinnamon sticks
3 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
2 medium oranges, each cut into 8 wedges
3 cup sparkling water
½ cup vodka (optional)
Additional cinnamon sticks
6 long rosemary sprigs, lower leaves removed, and threaded with fresh cranberries
Cranberry Spritzer Directions
- Add cranberries, honey, water, cumin seeds, and 4 cinnamon sticks to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the honey is melted and the spices are intensely fragrant.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large glass or other non-reactive bowl. Add cranberry juice, orange wedges, and vodka, if using. Refrigerate for several hours to overnight.
- Once thoroughly chilled, remove from refrigerator and firmly squeeze each orange wedge into the bowl to capture the juice before discarding. Strain mixture with a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- To serve, fill serving glasses with ice and add enough of the seasoned cranberry juice mixture to fill each glass about 1/3 full. Top off each glass with sparkling water and stir to combine. Taste and sweeten with additional honey, if desired.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and/or rosemary skewers and serve immediately.
Try these other festive cocktails
Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktail