Tired of the short, cold winter days? Then hop in the family car and head to a drive-thru Christmas light display to brighten up the season. Michigan has several light shows that are sure to please with bright colors and fun decorations. Here are some of the top drive-thru Christmas light displays in Michigan.
Wayne County Lightfest on Hines Drive
One of the most popular Christmas light displays in Metro Detroit is easily the Wayne County Lightfest on Hines Drive. This drive-thru event is filled with classic characters and scenes created with thousands of colorful lights. The Lighfest is also one of the most affordable at only $5 per vehicle. There are also an optional Toy Night Tuesdays December 3, 10 and 17 where visitors can donate a new unwrapped toy in lieu of paying the entrance fee.
- PRICE: $5/vehicle
- DATES: Nov. 21 thru Dec. 31
- HOURS: Mon-Fri 7pm to 10pm, Sat-Sun 6pm to 10pm
- WEBSITE: Wayne County Lightfest
Comstock Park Christmas Lite Show
Touted as the largest Christmas light display in Michigan, the Comstock Park Lite Show takes place at the Fifth Third Ball Park on the north side of Grand Rapids. This drive-thru display features two miles of lights, including some brightly lit tunnels. Train rides through the display are also available. Guests can meet Santa after the tour.
- PRICE: $25/vehicle
- DATES: Nov. 29-30, Dec. 1, 6-8, 13-15, 18-23
- HOURS: 6pm to 9pm
- WEBSITE: Christmas Lite Show
Nite Lite Show at Michigan International Speedway
It’s not every day you can drive on a race track lined with Christmas lights. The Nite Lite Show features three miles of Christmas displays for visitors to drive through. After your drive, stop by and meet Santa on Winter Wonderland nights.
- PRICE: $25/vehicle
- DATES: Nov. 28 through Dec. 31, Winter Wonderland area on select nights
- HOURS: Sun-Thu 5:30pm to 9pm, Fri-Sat 5:30pm to 10pm
- WEBSITE: Nite Lite Show
Christmas at Crossroads Holiday Magic
Christmas is in full swing at Crossroads Village near Flint. The historic buildings are decked out with lights and decorations, while costumed villagers and entertainers interact with visitors. Steam train rides are available as well as dinner buffets. While not designed as a drive-thru display, there are special nights where visitors can bring their vehicles for only $5/car.
- PRICE: $5/vehicle or ranging from $10 to $19 on full event nights.
- DATES: Drive-Thru nights Dec. 2, 9, 16, 23-24, 30. Regular nights Nov. 29-30, Dec. 1, 6-8, 13-15, 19-22, 26-29.
- HOURS: Drive-thru 5 to 9pm, other nights 4 to 9pm
- WEBSITE: Christmas at Crossroads Holiday Magic
Marshall’s Merry Mile
The Merry Mile features a drive-thru trail of Christmas light displays along the Calhoun County Fairgrounds. At the end, visitors can meet with Santa on special nights. While not as large as some of the others, it is full of Christmas cheer.
- PRICE: $10/vehicle
- DATES: Wednesdays through Sundays Nov. 29 to Dec. 30
- HOURS: Wed. – Sun. 6 to 9pm
- WEBSITE: Marshall’s Merry Mile
Rochester’s Big Bright Light Show
While not solely a Christmas display event, all of the buildings on downtown Rochester’s Main Street are covered sidewalk to roof in Christmas lights. The lights can easily be viewed from your car, but it’s best to park after a drive though and wander around. There are dozens of stores, restaurants, and other shops to peek into along the way. Rochester also holds special seasonal events, with their Fire & Ice festival soon after in January.
- PRICE: FREE
- DATES: Nov. 25 through Jan. 5
- HOURS: Lights are lit every night from 5pm through midnight. Stores are mostly open until 9pm and restaurants may be open later.
- WEBSITE: Big Bright Light Show