Chinese take out flavor can be achieved at home. Our Instant Pot Mongolian Beef is easy to make and, of course, also tastes great straight out of the fridge the next morning.
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- 1.5 pounds flank steak, cut into strips across grain
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Place beef and cornstarch in a one-gallon freezer bag. Seal and turn to combine until steak is lightly coated. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add beef, working in batches if necessary, and brown on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add additional olive oil, as necessary, to brown the remaining beef.
- Transfer beef to a plate and add one tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot. Add onion, carrots, ginger, and garlic, and cook, stirring continually, until onion and carrots are soft and turn golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Return beef to the cooking container and add Sriracha sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, water, honey and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Add lid and set pressure valve to “Sealing” position. Select “Manual” option and set to high. Adjust cook time to 6 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and add sautéed veggies back to the container. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve immediately over a bed of rice, topped with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!