Harvest season is full of apples and all sorts of squash varieties at the local farm stands. This Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon-Pecan Topping is an easy way to add a bit of the Fall harvest to your meals. It is rustic enough to serve any night with dinner or prepare it in a fancy casserole dish as part of a Thanksgiving spread.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
Apple Butternut Squash Casserole Ingredients
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil (melted coconut oil can also be used)
3 cups butternut squash, cubed (about a 2lb squash)
2 medium apples, cubed
1 small red onion, chopped
1½ teaspoons fresh or dry sage, chopped
1½ teaspoons fresh or dry thyme
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces
½ cups pecans, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons honey
Apple Butternut Squash Casserole Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9×13” baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Set aside.
2. Combine the butternut squash, apples, red onion, 2 tablespoons oil, sage, and thyme in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
3. Transfer the butternut squash mixture onto the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Place in the pre-heated oven to roast just until the butternut squash is fork tender, around 25-30 minutes.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil and a cookie rack if you have one. Arrange strips of bacon on top. Cook in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how crisp you like it. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain excess grease.
5. Once bacon is cooled enough to handle, roughly chop, then combine with chopped pecans and honey. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and toss to combine.
6. Remove squash from oven and top with the bacon-pecan mixture. Return to the oven until the topping is nicely browned, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Tip: For a quick time saver: Use precooked bacon. Chop and heat in the microwave.